[Wine] New video card; wine freezing

zBrain wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 12 12:41:12 CDT 2011

Hello,

I want to play Eve Online in Wine. It was working (mostly) on my old card, a GTX 280, using the nvidia driver. It was the 3rd card I've had from Nvidia in a row with manufacturing defects, so I bought a Radeon 6870, which is working good except with Wine. I am using fglrx, and have a dual head setup using xrandr.

When I log in, I get to the screen where it is entering the game after I click to select my character, the bar gets to about 75% and my screen stops updating. The computer will respond to ACPI shutdown via the soft power button, the cursor moves, and I can see HDD activity, so it is not totally frozen, but I can not see any updates to the screen.

I have UseFastTLS set to 2 in xorg.conf as per http://wiki.winehq.org/fglrx, and tried several different compilation options with Wine, and still get the same behavior. Compiling with threads off failed for me, so I don't know if that is part of it.

My first question is how should I start Wine to capture useful debug output to a file? Once the issue triggers I have to reboot, so this is my only real option at this point.

Thanks for any help.