[Wine] SolidWorks 2010 cause X's to die.

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Tue Apr 12 19:01:40 CDT 2011

> I own intel GMA915 GPU. SW works on Windows very good.

	I never tried Intel cards, but as far as I know their Windows driver is
good enough for many people but their Linux driver is very bad, many things do
not work at all, and there is too many bugs.

On 2011-04-12 (April, Tuesday) 12:48:45 San wrote:
> Found some solution here:
> http://appdb.winehq.org/commentview.php?iAppId=1815&iVersionId=6842&iThrea
> dId=38271
> > Option "DRI" "False"
> > in
> > Section "Device"
> > in your xorg.conf, restart X (re-login/ctrl-alt-backspace/reboot)

	This is not a solution but a very crude workaround; it is good enough for
testing or playing around, but definitely not acceptable if you hope to do any
serious work. As I have said, this is video driver problem. And today only
NVidia works well in Linux (especially this is true for professional purposes).
I heard that ATI Linux driver is improving with time, but as of today ATI works
much worse in Linux than NVidia, so NVidia is only recommended choice. I do not
think that Intel card can be acceptable for Linux if you hope to use OpenGL
applications (including 3D games) - there are some exceptions of course, but
for most OpenGL applications Intel cards are useless (in Linux).

> Can You help me to provide some usefull informations to kernel maintainers
> about this problem?

	Sorry, I never had Intel card so I have no idea how you report bug(s) in
their driver. I'm sure Google will help you find the answer.

	All of above means that if you want to run OpenGL applications and want
stability and good performance in Linux you have to buy NVidia card because it
is the best choice. If you just testing Wine to see how well (or how bad) it
performs with Intel card but do not want to actually use professional OpenGL
applications or 3D games in Linux (or in Wine) then you can keep your Intel
card if you are happy with it.