[Wine] SolidWorks 2010 cause X's to die.

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Wed Apr 13 01:43:49 CDT 2011

On 2011-04-13 (April, Wednesday) 05:16:07 San wrote:
> I agree with You about buggy intel drivers and opinion that disabling DRI
> is not acceptable solution. But disagree Intel cards in linux are useless.
> I sucessfully play few games, have no problems with playing movies and use
> compiz.

	As I said, "there are some exceptions" - some games and OpenGL
applications do work with Intel card. You are right, it's not useless; I think
I did not said properly what I actually meant. What I meant was that with Intel
card you can run much less applications than with NVidia card, and most
applications that do run with it work slower or worser than with modern NVidia
card.

> Since it is an laptop i won't replace my video to NVidia.

	I see. I will give you then other advice, perhaps it will be more
useful for you. I personally use SolidWorks too and unfortunately Wine is not
yet ready to run it perfectly, even with many workarounds. So in your
particular case changing to NVidia card wouldn't help anyway to get it working
for professional purposes. I personally used VMWare at first (VirtualBox is good
free alternative) to run SolidWorks in Linux. But after some time I started to
work on very large and complex projects so I simply purchased another PC with
Quadro card + KVM switch to switch quickly between my 2 Linux PCs and 1 Windows
PC with SolidWorks (and some other software). VMWare ( http://vmware.com/ ) or
VirtualBox ( http://virtualbox.org/ ) may work for you well if you are doing
not too large projects and want to get SolidWorks working in Linux without
dual-booting or buying another PC.

	There is hope that some day in the future Wine will be able to run
applications like SolidWorks or Autodesk Inventor good enough for professional
purposes (there are some bug reports related to most noticeable bugs in Wine
when trying to run SolidWorks), but unfortunately it is impossible to predict
when exactly this happens.