[Wine] PSE5 actions in effects folder loosing alphabetical sort

imatechguy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 13 20:21:50 CDT 2011

Distro: Archlinux 2.6.38
Wine version: 1.3.17
(The system is fully updated)

Code:
Affected folder:
~/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/Adobe/Photoshop Elements/5.0/Photo Creations/special effects/photo effects/CoffeShop Actions

Code:
Unaffected folders:
~/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/Adobe/Photoshop Elements/5.0/Photo Creations/special effects/photo effects/frames

~/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application Data/Adobe/Photoshop Elements/5.0/Photo Creations/special effects/photo effects/image effects

Code:
Equivalent Window XP path of affected folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\5.0\Photo Creations\special effects\photo effects\CoffeeShop Actions

Problem:
I am trying to migrate my wife's PC to Linux and doing that requires she retain access to PSE5 (Photoshop Elements 5) so using another program, like GIMP, is unfortunately not an option.  PSE5 installed and starts flawlessly and all the generic actions that came preinstalled with it seem to be fine.  However I have a few folders with custom actions that are “loosing” the alphabetical sort when Photoshop builds the Artwork and actions databases when PSE5 is started.  If I use the file manager to browse to the folder everything looks as it should.  However when PSE5 starts and we use the Artwork pallete to navigate to the Photo Effects folder the actions are displayed in jumbled order and the thumbnail images are in an even different order so nothing is sorted and nothing matches.

I've checked the thumbs.psd stack and the images are properly ordered alphabetically from bottom to top.  I tried changing the order of  6 of the images in the stack to match the order the actions in the pallete window and that worked on those I tested to get the images to match the actions, however the order of the actions in the pallette window is still wonky.  I also tried renaming the action files to get rid of spaces, exchange the underscore “_” for spaces, remove extra words/letters and though sometimes the display order would change it sill wouldn't be alphabetical as expected.  I've also tried multiple copy/pastes of the folder and even just the files within as well as multiple deletes and rebuilds of the Media and Thumbs databases.

Please note this all works as expected if I boot into XP so I know all the files are capable of functioning as intended.  Also note there are numerous other custom actions in various other paths that are displayed in alphabetical order as expected so it's not a global problem with actions. I'm thinking the problem is in how PSE is building the MediaDatabase.db3 and ThumbDatabase.db3 files when it is launched but why these specific actions are affected is what I'm stumped on.  Since I know this is occuring in at least one other folder I am hoping there is a single fix to the problem.

Here are a few of the 23 total actions in the affected folder and where they fall in the displayed order.  As I said above I've tried renaming them in various ways but and while it will change the order it never fixes it to be correct, alphabetically.  I can provide a few more, or even the full list if needed but this short list will at least highlight the problem.

CoffeeShop Baby PowderRoom.atn  - should be 1st but is displayed 6th
CoffeeShop Moody Pop.atn   - should be 10th but is displayed 1st
CoffeeShop Vintage Blush.atn – should be 20th but is displayed 5th
CoffeeShop Eye Bright.atn – should be 5th but is displayed 11th.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated,

The part that just adds insult to injury in all this is that PSE5 normally takes 2-4 minutes to launch when booted into XP Home but will launch in about 30-45 seconds using WINE.  This PC is running a C2D 6420 @ 3.2Ghz with 4Gb of RAM (4x1Gb of DDR2 800) so it's shouldn't be a hardware issue that's causing the slow load time in XP.