[Wine] Homefront dedicated Server

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Apr 14 05:16:51 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 04:24 -0500, zap-hosting wrote:
> thanks, it's just a test system, no problem if it becomes hacked.
>
> Is there a way to start ist with ignoring a graphical output?

If you mean how to run it as a 'headless' server, i.e. with X11 support
disabled that's simple: set the default run level to 3 (out of the box
its set to 5).

You can change the run level by editing /etc/inittab with vi.

This is a job you'd better learn to do with a text editor such as vi or
vim: you can change it from 5 to 3 using a GUI admin applet or editor
but after it takes effect the only way you'll be able to change it back
is by using a command line editor[*].

Martin

[*] This may not be strictly true. I think its still possible to gain
graphical access via VNC but it would be wise to check and set things up
so you can control the runlevel via the command line in case VNC isn't
available at runlevel 3.