[Wine] DBabble issue oddly solved

F_style wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 15 12:17:59 CDT 2011

Hi all.

There's a Windows application called DBabble which I talked about in a previous (and kind of annoying, I recognize it) thread some time ago.
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=9788

I was trying 2 Enlightenment-based distros, Elive and Bodhi Linux, on an old PC. I realized Elive has Wine installed by default, so I decided to give the old issue a try without expecting different results. For my surprise, it worked! On Elive I used Wine 1.1.42 (I didn't try to build the latest one from source), on Bodhi I did however install the latest version and it also worked, no crashes.

So what I did next was copying the entire Wine prefix (the .wine directory) to my openSUSE installation in /home -could be any other place- and running DBabble directly from this directory, like a copied program. It also worked! I'm using latest Wine on openSUSE.

If I just try to copy the program files only and run it with Wine, I get crash. Maybe there's something more in that created prefix...

What do you think about this? What difference can Wine prefixes from different distributions have among themselves? The configurer is the same: Gecko. Maybe Dimesio was right: different openSUSE versions are quite different and a certain one broke some things... But if this is a newbie question, sorry.