[Wine] Microsoft Office 2007 Install Issues

phosphide wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Apr 16 02:02:48 CDT 2011

Hi all,

I recently attempted to install MS Office 2007 on Ubuntu 10.10 using PlayOnLinux. I know I should have went to their forum, though I'm hoping someone here could help as well.

I'm currently using 1.2.2 for Wine. The install went smooth and went through the product key entry without issue. The problems arise when I attempt to start one of the office suites. Microsoft Word works without issue, though none of the rest work correctly and actually I get a different issue with each program. Publisher fails to load at all, Excel says it's not installed on my username, and the others fail to load or I get this message:

> The program WINWORD.EXE has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check http://appdb.winehq.org for tips about running this application.
>
> If this problem is not present under Windows and has not been reported yet, you can report it at http://bugs.winehq.org

The error message says WINWORD.EXE because when I change wine's operating system (Vista or XP, etc.) MS Word works fine for XP and below, but nothing works at all above XP nor do any of the other programs work for any other settings.

I'm currently using an HP Mobile Workstation 8510w and I can post more specs if necessary. Anything would be appreciated. Others have mentioned to me uninstall office but I fear I will run into an activation issue with the product key if I reinstall again and activate it.