[Wine] Homefront dedicated Server

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Apr 17 13:51:01 CDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 10:14 -0500, zap-hosting wrote:
> hey martin,
>
> thanks
>
> how to run it over VNC?

VNC should be a standard part of your distro, so try installing it if
you haven't done so. The basics are that you start a vncserver under the
user where you want to run programs: this is a normal user, not root,
etc.

Then you start a vnc client on your local machine and use it to logon to
the vncserver.  The client can be a native client for your local machine
or an applet that runs in your web browser I've used both under XP and
both worked well. My personal notes say: "vncserver is run in user
space. By default it talks to its own vncviewer on the remote system on
port 5901. An http connection to port 5801 will cause it to download a
Java applet that provides a remote desktop via a web browser. It is
possible to share a single VNC server between users with xinetd [but
starting vncserver under the target user account is more straight
forward]. man Xvnc gives more details."

Full documentation, software, etc is available here:
http://www.realvnc.com

Note that its only the Enterprise edition that must be bought - personal
downloads and the Java applet are free downloads.

Martin