[Wine] Making Wine Firefox the default browser

rstravis wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 17 23:14:55 CDT 2011

OK, I see posts all over the place for the opposite problem -- people want wine apps to open their linux default browser.  But I have the opposite problem.  I use a piece of software (GradeQuick) that only runs on Windows (and Mac sometimes when it feels like it).  But it runs by first opening the web page which called it (www.edline.net), and it will not run through Linux.  So when I click, either on the link to the program or directly on the program itself, it opens my default browser, which is a Linux browser (I tried removing Linux Firefox, and then it opened Chrome), and goes to edline.net.  From there it will not open the GradeQuick app.  Very poor software design, but it's what my school district uses so I'm stuck with it.  And I've managed to migrate everything else I do to Linux.

So how do I take my Wine version of Firefox and make that the default, or at least let GradeQuick think it's the default?

BTW, I'm running the Beta 2 version of Natty Narwhal, Kubuntu.  (And, for the record, I had the same issues with both Gnome and KDE in Maverick Meerkat, so it's not just an issue with the beta).

Thanks in advance to any who can help.