[Wine] Using Controllers with WINE

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon Apr 18 08:13:14 CDT 2011

On 4/18/11 7:10 AM, Haravikk wrote:
> I'm curious if there are any good step-by-step guides for connecting controllers and using them under WINE. In particular I'm interested in using a Wireless XBox 360 controller with WINE running under Mac, very specific I know!
>
> It seems like something might be a good candidate for a section of the WINE wiki; a hub for guides to connecting various controllers to your computer, and once that's done how to then get them to work under WINE.
>
> Anyway, I think I'm okay for actually connecting the controller to my Mac, though it seems I'll need to buy Microsoft's receiver to do so, so I may have a look at desktop gaming controllers instead.
>
> However I don't see any wiki page entries for getting a controller running under WINE, so it seems like something that could with an author for future reference!
As far as Wine is concerned, a controller is just a plain old joystick.
The joystick driver that was added a while back should work just fine.
Just plug it in and go.

To recognize your Xbox 360 controller, though, you'll need a special
driver. Remember, Google is your friend. Just search for "Mac Xbox 360
controller driver".

If you were hoping to use it through XInput.dll, though, you're out of
luck. It's not implemented in Wine... yet.

Chip