[Wine] Difficulties Getting Wine to Recognize Printers

JimGross wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 20 18:35:11 CDT 2011

I recently installed Wine version 1.3.18 under Macintosh OS X 10.6.6.  The only problem I've encountered so far is with printing.  As an initial step, I'm trying to just get Notepad to print some unformated text, but have been unsuccessful.  I get the following error message:
"Before you can perform printer related tasks such as page setup or printing a document you must install a printer.  Please install one and retry."
and my terminal output is:
"fixme:winspool:WINSPOOL_EnumPrintersW We don't handle PRINTER_ENUM_CONNECTIONS".
The printer in question is a Lexmark E260dn on the office network.  I set it to use the generic.ppd from the wine library, it's visible from the CUPS web interface, and I can send it print jobs from lpr command in the Mac terminal.  I've confirmed that the package I used (from Mac Ports) was set to compile with CUPS enabled.
Based on the wine documentation, I was unclear if I needed to map the printer device file in the Mac userland to an lpt port in the Wine dosdevice directory.  I tried using the printer IP address and the URI but that did not change the situation.  Clearly I'm missing a fairly basic step to my setup, but I can't seem to find the correct article on documentation to help me remedy the problem.  Any advice or wisdom that people could provide would be greatly appreciated.

-JG