[Wine] Bootstrapping mingw GCC with wine on linux

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Apr 21 03:13:02 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 21:10 -0700, perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
> "rubenvb" <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>
> > I know that to execute a win32 executable, I need to do:
> > "wine some_executable.exe" ... is there some hybrid wine/bash
> > shell that can run win32 executables without extra arguments?
>
> If you have only a limited number of such executables to deal with,
> you can use aliases, something along the lines of (untested):
>
>   alias some_executable='cd /path/to/correct/directory ;
>   wine some_executable.exe "$@"'
>
> (That's supposed to be all on one line, and the syntax may not be
> exactly right, but you get the idea.  "man bash" for the details.)

Or write a small wrapper script which can be run from the command line
or made the target of a Gnome launcher:

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.prefixname
cd $WINEPREFIX/path/to/correct/directory
wine some_executable.exe "$@"

Make it executable and put it in a directory on the search path. I use
$HOME/bin, adding the line "export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin" to
$HOME/.bash_profile so the shell can always find scripts in $HOME/bin.
Use the script wherever you'd use "wine exename arguments".

Martin