[Wine] No Sound Over nVidia HDMI

Enverex wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 22 18:58:07 CDT 2011

I've never had any issues with Wine and audio up until now. The machine is a HTPC which is connected to a TV via HDMI. Audio works perfectly in everything without changing any additional settings, but in Wine it just refuses to work. This machine has no other sound devices other than the HDMI audio output, the onboard audio is disabled.

Initially I just got the ALSA message about no master control found, but the sound test didn't work and I didn't get any sound in Wine games.

I then added the registry keys for Alsa Driver (DeviceCount=1, DeviceCTL=hw:0, DevicePCM1=default) which got the sound test in winecfg working (audibly) but still no sound in Wine games.

So first question is why doesn't Wine work out of the box? I'm having to specify the card manually which means it thinks something else is my soundcard or it just can't see it at all.

Second issue is, despite having configured Wine manually and got the audio test working, why do I still have no sound actually inside programs in Wine?

I've been Googling this for a while and it seems quite a few other people have this problem, but no-one has ever found a resolution.