[Wine] GSP Family Tree fails at startup missing DLL?

jl wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 24 07:42:37 CDT 2011

I have an old (Windows 95 era) genealogy program "GSP Family Tree"; this runs in later versions of Windows (using Windows 95 compatibility mode) but I'm having problems with it in Wine.
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and have tried first with Wine 1.2 and now with wine 1.3.17
The installer runs okay and creates the program directory on the Wine C: drive, and I have used winecfg to set Windows 95 mode for the executable. When I try to launch the application, it appears to start correctly, but then immediately there is a pop-up message: "Error while initialising!" As soon as I dismiss this pop-up, the application disappears (crashes).
I've run from the console, and see a message: "fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100". At http://wiki.winehq.org/HowTo I see "An application may not work because Wine doesn't yet fully implement one of the DLL files the application is trying to use. If you encounter a DLL not found error, or see a lot of "FIXME:" messages while running the application in Wine, this is likely the case. When this occurs, you can try using native (non-Wine) DLL files in place of Wine's builtin ones. Check the AppDB page for the program. There may be special configuration options or instructions for installing native DLL files there that you can try to get the application working.", so I'm guessing my problem is most likely a missing DLL, but how do I found out which DLL is needed?
I've checked the AppDB, and found no entries for my application.
I've run WINEDEBUG, but I don't understand the output. (I'd post it here, but I can't figure out how to attach the .tar.gz, and the uncompressed log is around 7Mb)
What should I be looking for that would help me find out which DLL is causing the problem? (Or would indicate that the problem lies elsewhere.)