[Wine] Re: Forum archive reveals email addresses, PLEASE STOP IT.

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 24 18:18:17 CDT 2011

Marc Chamberlin wrote:

> An example of where my email address is being revealed is at
>
> http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=46237&sid=000dc479ce03c0592827269f45b26939

Did you even look at the thread you linked to? Posts on the forum do not have email addresses in them unless someone puts it in the body of the message. Your post in that thread has your name and "Guest" indicating that it came in via the mailing list. I think what you are referring to is the mailing list archives, which strip out the @ from email addresses but leave the rest intact.

The mailing list is linked to the forum, so at least some of the spam you are receiving was probably posted on the forum. Moderators delete spam from the forum as soon as we see it, but there is no way for us to stop it from being forwarded to the mailing list. Either set up a good spam filter at your end or start using the forum instead of the mailing list.