[Wine] Tring to Build Wine from Source on OS X

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 09:07:57 CDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM, JimGross <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> So I'm attempting to build Wine from the the source files in the Git repository.  After running ./configure I took note of the dependencies that were
> missing and went about trying to download, build and install them.  I then re-ran ./configure and it still couldn't find any of the libraries I had just
> downloaded.  My initial thought was that Macports was building the libraries as 64-bit.  I changed the settings to build 32-bit/64-bit universal
> binaries, and then uninstalled and reinstalled all the ports.
That will not work.  The binaries have to be 32 bit.
>  No change.  I then moved over to Fink, thinking perhaps there was a problem with Macports, checking first that Fink defaults to building 32-bit
> binaries.
They do.
However, what is missing is the pointers to where MacPorts (/opt/bin,
/opt/lib, /opt/include) or Fink (/sw/bin, /sw/lib, /sw/include)

>Still no change.  I donwloaded the source files for libjpeg off the net (not through Macports or Fink), and ran ./configure, make CFLAGS="-m32"
> CXXFLAGS="-m32", make build, and make install clean.  This also didn't work.  I freely admit that I'm at the bleeding edge of my apptitude (the
> compilier flags are probably well beyond, I simply copied what I thought was the appropriate commands after some Googling).  Any help on what
> steps I'm missing/executing incorrectly would be greatly appreciated.

In most cases you will need to tell the installer that you are using
an i386, not an i686 (64 bit Intel processor).

You will also ned to set the location of where the binaries, libraries
and includes are located at.  Both MacPorts and Fink build a complete
wine build.  I have been able to fake out Fink when I use a patched
wine file by just packaging up the git directory into a named bzip'd
tarball (tar jcf wine-1.3.18.tar.bz2 wine-git/* will do the job) and
then putting the tarball in the /sw/src directory.  When Fink chokes
on the mismatch of md5s, I tell the installer to ignore the mismatch
and no further problems resulted.  I have a shiny, new patched file.

Good luck Jim.