[Wine] Alsa: underrun occured

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:54:06 CDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 12:59, BorgAssimilator
<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
>>
>> Try installing/upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10.
>>
>> Wine doesn't support natively Pulse Audio, but uses Alsa-PulseAudio
>> compatibility packages. There seems to be some bugs regarding
>> Alsa/PulseAudio integration, negatively impacting Wine. I believe the
>> version of PA shipped in 10.10 fixes some of those bugs.
>>
>> Frédéric
>

> Is it trying to use pulse audio? I did find some people on the internet saying how bad pulse audio was and that it should be removed, so I did. I also made sure nothing was running at the time I tried the test in winecfg. Is wine still trying to use it somehow / would there be any way to tell it otherwise?
>
> In the past I've gotten wine sound work with the aoss wrapper, but unfortunately it didn't solve the issue in this case.

The fact is Ubuntu switched to PulseAudio starting with 8.04 and is
providing Alsa/OSS compatibility ever since.
So Alsa is probably not Canonical's main center of interest.

Wine, OTOH, has drivers for OSS and alsa, but won't support PulseAudio
anytime soon (unless someone volunteers to write working PulseAudio
support, which is not a small feat; even then (s)he would still have a
hard time integrating into wine source tree).

IME standard Ubuntu sound works well enough in Wine, unless you have
different sound sources (like maybe normal game sound + some chat).
pulseaudio --kill can help if PA froze/no sound available.

I've not been able to make OSS work in 10.10 (or jack) though so I'm
stuck with alsa/PA compatibility issues.

My first recommandation would be to try upgrading to 10.10 (or testing
from a live cd) and check if the problem is still existing.

Frédéric