[Wine] Performance Issues with Games in Wine (EVE Online, TF2)

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Wed Apr 27 10:51:43 CDT 2011

On 04/27/2011 11:19 AM, 3246251196 wrote:
> Before I would upgrade, I would like to ask if anyone knows whether upgrading video cards would improve the FPS of a game. Anyone?

It is possible that a card upgrade would improve the FPS but not
guaranteed, it would depend on what was causing the lower FPS rate, your
overall hardware, etc. and then the benefits you got from the newer card
could vary from game to game. Even with an upgraded card Wine will
probably not be able to let you put video settings at their middle or
highest levels or use game features that require dx 10 or 11. If any
part of your problem is connected to the games being written expecting
more than Wine can current handle, then the impact of the upgraded card
may be minimal.

I upgraded my video from an onboard nvidia 6150SE to an nvidia 460 card
and saw very little performance difference and no FPS increase, but that
may be very dependent on what game or type of game you play (mmo vs.
shooter, etc). The new card handles heat better, is quieter and I can
check a couple extra graphics settings boxes in some games, but overall
it made little difference because Wine isn't yet to the point of being
able to identify the card, it's memory and capabilities correctly to the
game. For me the upgrade was still a good idea because my card
pre-upgrade was so old.