[Wine] Re: noob:Can't get IL-2/1946 to run!

farna wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 27 16:03:35 CDT 2011

Thanks James! Will try your recommendations. The changing permissions is something in Ubuntu 10.10 -- has to do with the executable bit. Ubuntu 10.10 won't let you change the executable bit in a Windows .exe file unless you're signed in as the administrator. I don't think it will allow changing that bit in Linux files unless signed in as admin either.

Linux (at least Ubuntu) is starting to get more and more like Windows as far as locking users out of their own system. I understand wanting to make the system easy to use and more robust, but you don't "accidentally" change permissions on a file and not know it. People with no more system knowledge than that usually leave those things alone. As you said though, not a Wine problem...