[Wine] Wine ignores settings

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Apr 28 14:54:38 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 14:24 -0500, mrhat wrote:
> For example, when I set up app xyz.exe to be started with an emulated
> desktop, it doesnt work. But when I activate emulated desktop in
> global settings, it works - but now of course ALL the apps are run
> with emulated desktops, which doesnt come in very handy.

These settings (Windows version, virtual desktop, etc) apply to all
programs run with a particular prefix - .wine is the default.

If a program needs something different, use a different prefix:

export WINEPREFIX=.newprefix
cd $WINEPREFIX/path/to/program
wine progname

Put the above lines into a small script file, say $HOME/bin/myscript
with:

#!/bin/bash

as its first line, make it executable:

chmod u+x $HOME/bin/myscript

make sure that bin is on the search path by adding:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

as the last line in .bash_profile and you can run the script from the
command line or point a desktop launcher at it so you can click an icon
to run it.

Martin