[Wine] My first attempts at Wine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Apr 28 20:05:47 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 19:22 -0500, DaveK9 wrote:
> I'm going to need Java Runtime Environment, so I started by
> downloading and installing that - it installed OK but noted that
> libmawt.so , libodbcinst.so and libodbc.so were missing. Moving on ...

Oracle Jave or something else?
Native or a Windows version under Wine?
If the latter, WHY?

> CPU-ID is a simple little executable that gives info on the CPU and RAM.
> wine cpuz.exe
> This at least rendered a window, but then produced so many error
> messages that I couldn't even count them.

Unsurprising - its delving into the depths of Windows, so why would you
expect it to work under Wine? Use Linux tools, such as top, the Gnome
system monitor, or time.

> Then I tried Putty.exe and tried a simple telnet to my website, and the errors just poured out.

Again, why? The native OpenSSH implementation is called 'ssh' and is a
lot more capable than PuTTY. See also scp and sftp if you want to copy
files.

> I see from the FAQs that there is no support for unusual Windows
> drivers in Wine, so my gadget that converts analog TV signals to
> digital in MS WBM video format is unlikely to work, meaning no
> watching TV on the monitor.

Correct. Wine is a users-space program. Device drivers are kernel-space
code, and the Linux kernel doesn't run Windows drivers.

> My hopes of a quick and easy switch over to Linux-Wine are rapidly
> fading, but since I'm completely new to this, perhaps I have made a
> ghastly error somewhere ?

The way to have a good Linux experience is to realise that you're now in
the Linux/UNIX world, act accordingly and get to know Linux and its
native toolset. Read a manual or two. Learn to use the manpage, HOWTO
and 'info' documentation. There is a LOT of documentation about Linux
and its programs available but you need to know how to find it and how
its organised. There are more development tools, databases, utilities
and access to the underlying OS than Windows has ever offered, so use
native applications and development tools whenever possible. Wine is an
incomplete (think still-developing) user-space aid to running Windows
applications under Linux when there are no native equivalents. A lot of
well-written Windows applications do in fact 'just run', but there is a
shed-load of badly written ones too, so don't expect that any and all
Windows programs will 'just run' under Wine.

Martin