[Wine] Nikon software - Photographer

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Apr 29 06:06:22 CDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 02:24 -0500, checoimg wrote:
> Hi guys, I'm a photographer and I want to use the software that my
> camera manufacturer makes. I can install the application like View NX
> 2 but Nikon trasnfer  makes an error. I want to  know what information
> do I have to gather for help or what should I need to correct this
> erros. If any interested of helping please just reply.

Have you tried downloading images from your Nikon with native Linux
tools such as F-spot or Shotwell? They work just fine with my Pentax
DSLR. I'm running the Fedora 14 distro, which installs these programs as
standard, so the first time I plugged the Pentax in and turned it on,
its SD card was found and opened and F-spot was started automatically.
As the GIMP is a standard part of most distros, I find I don't need (and
have never tried to run) the Windows software than came with the camera.

FYI, where Windows programs for reading images from cameras and scanners
use TWAIN as the interface/driver standard, Linux uses SANE/XSANE.

Martin