[Wine] Eve Online crashes when using two clients

vaego wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Apr 30 15:22:10 CDT 2011

When I am playing Eve Online with only one client open, it works well. I get the odd crash here and there but nothing more than what I was expecting when trying to run a windows game outside of windows. But as soon as I try and log on a second account, the crashes start. There isn't a set point at which the crashes always occur. Alot of the time, as soon as I get the second client to the character selection screen, the other client will crash, but usually only if the first character is in space. The only times I can get two clients open for any length of time is if they are both in a station. These frequent crashes make for some very frustrating game play, especially for a game that is rated as Gold.

When the client crashes, I get this error message:

Program Error
The program ExeFile.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
This can be caused by a problem in the program, or a deficiency in wine. You may want to check http://appdb.winehq.org for tips about running this application.
If this problem is not present under windows and has not been reported yet, you can report it at http://bugs.winehq.org.

When I press the close button, the eve window shuts, but the virtual desktop I was running it in stays open. In the system monitor, the ExeFile.exe process changes to "zombie" status, and I have to end the process in order to open another client in that virtual desktop.

I tried reinstalling wine (1.3.18) and Eve on a new prefix. I'm running Eve in two different virtual desktops, in fixed window mode, with depth effects turned off to fix that crash when trying to change settings. I saw in the Linux in game chat channel that wine 1.3.17 was the latest stable version with Eve, so I tried to get that one. As far as I could tell you have to compile it from source, which I attempted, but it was a bit over my head, something about a missing make file? I'm still very new at this, and I'm not really sure where to go from here.

I'm using Wine 1.3.18 and Linux Mint 10. If anyone has and idea of what is wrong, please let me know.