[Wine] No sound on ThinkPad -- mixer issue

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 3 10:23:28 CDT 2011

I have no sound in wine. I open my application (Dragon NaturallySpeaking) and it says the device is not responding. (Neither the mike jack nor the USB pod.)

When I run winecfg I get the following message.
fixme:wave:ALSA_ComputeCaps Device has a minimum of 2 channels
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on ThinkPad Console Audio Control, disabling mixer

So it appears that my mixer is disabled.

The only Mixer Device shown in winecfg's Audio / ALSA Driver / Mixer Devices is "HDA Intel."

FYI -- My configuration -- pulseaudio is disabled and /etc/pulse/client.conf has autospawn turned off. I have audio in Linux programs, including Audacity.

Is there a work-around for this? Or is it a bug?