[Wine] Duke Nukem Forever Demo (Steam) not launching

Quix0r wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 5 12:06:02 CDT 2011

Got someone this demo working? 50,- EUR is a lot money to me so I like to play the demo first. But it seems to be impossible?

I have latest Wine from GIT and did the required winetricks steps (dinput8, xinput, removed asterisk from dinput8 user.reg line, added xinput1_3 (with native only) to winecfg, corefonts, tahoma installed; all done in a new wine bottle aka. WINEPREFIX). A +d3d logfile turned up that Wine detected my video RAM size wrong (it detected 256 MB, but I have 512 MB), I set HKCU->Software->Wine->Direct3D->VideoMemorySize to 512 (string) but still it keeps crashing. I tried opengl as DirectDrawRenderer value, no luck. I set BreakOnFirstChance to 0, no luck. :(

Please speak up (not just that it works, how you did it) if you know how to get the demo working.