[Wine] Scale "up" low resolution programs to fit screen?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 16:34:51 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM, doh123 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> penyuan wrote:
>> Some old apps and games are of pretty low resolution by today's standards, i.e. 640x480.
>>
>> If I run such a program the text and interface are often very very small because of it.
>>
>> Therefore, is there a way to have Wine scale up, for example, a 640x480 virtual desktop to fit my high resolution display?
>>
>> In other words, the program will fill the screen, albeit looking more pixellated.
>

> Wine will not scale it.  You need to configure your X server to run fullscreen at that resolution, so that it will still run 640x480
> (or whatever) in fullscreen mode.

Also, you have to make sure that your video system will handle such
scaling.  Some systems will not scale 4x3 images onto a 16x9 screen
very well, if at all.

This is a discussion to hold with the distributor of your Linux
product.  I will state that the Mac video system through XQuartz ran
QuakeII at 640x480 very well on my MacBook Pro (2011 edition).

James McKenzie