[Wine] [Fallout2] Maybe problems with graphics acceleration?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 18:43:01 CDT 2011

On 8/12/11 3:31 AM, Kakadu wrote:
> I had normal version of wine for fallout2 and war3, but I've deleted it and I can't reinstall it now.
>
> I have Debian testing and newest wine 1.3 from ubuntu ppas. Nvidia video
>
> When I start fallout 2 I see start picture and game hangs. Same problems with warcraft3.
> there are some strange sound artifacts (like pulsing) in both games.
> The problem exists both in windowed and fullscreen mode (in fullscreen everything is more awful - wine doesn't rever screen resolution to normal)
> I've tried to remove $WINEPREFIX but it doesnt help.
>
> this is a little output
>
> Code:
> $ wine FALLOUT2.EXE
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f0b0,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
This is the problem, not sound.  You will have to start a second X
session with 8 bpp color depth for now and this a restriction of the X
windowing system not Wine.  The Wine FAQ can be consulted at
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-457924a9b776f14ee57585e6b4a6f9c3e32735fc
for assistance with resolving this problem.

James