[Wine] Re: Help with USB-to-serial cable

JennyT wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 21 16:24:58 CDT 2011

Todd Walter wrote:
> This may not be a consolation, but USB to serial converters are
> notoriously unreliable (we use them to program Omron & Allen-Bradley
> PLCs).  IIRC it had to do with the way they implement CLK timing (which
> is why your bps can't be set properly.)  More often than not, they
> haven't worked for us under a real Windows installation so I'd imagine
> you are really playing with fire using it under Wine.  You may want to
> try a cable that doesn't use the PL2303 bridge.
>
> Sorry I don't have any better solution for you,
>
> - Todd

I can only agree with you. Prolific usb serial adapters are very unreliable, especially with Linux and 64-bit systems. I have had several Prolific adapters (since they are the cheapest after all) but none of them have been working properly for an extended period. After we switched to FTDI based usb serial adapters (http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=244) everything started going much smoother, not only when installing but also when connecting devices. These drivers/chipset seems to be compatible with most devices.