[Wine] Re: Windows and Ubuntu and Windows and......

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 27 18:08:34 CDT 2011

David Bailey wrote:
> I too have enormous sympathy for the OP - mainly because I am just starting to feel a bit less of a Linux newbie than I was.
>
> The thing to realise is that when you use samba to network windows file store into linux, it appears as an extension to the linux files store. So suppose you do the mount commands manually to begin with, you can create an empty directory somewhere and mount the samba file store inside it. So say you create ~/Windows as a directory, you can mount the samba file store inside that directory:
>
> sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.7/drive_c /home/dave/Windows -o username=dave,noexec
>
> (Change details as appropriate)
>
> (I am not sure what all the options do (yet), but this works for me).
>
> I recommend that you do that, and then explore the resultant file store, by CD-ing into ~/Windows and using the ls command. Once you realise how it works, you can probably dispense with setting up a G: drive, and just point the program to the data directly.
>
> David

Also, OP may not know that "~" is replaced by the shell to become $HOME. So you can say that ~ has the same effect as $HOME.

One should note that using this technique you will not seethe share "mounted" in your graphical file browser, even though you can manually navigate there.

But this is getting extremely out of the range of Wine's forums/mailing list and I think we should wait for OP to see if it doesn't get too offtopic.

Cheers,

Jorl17