[Wine] Kareo please help

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Aug 30 10:35:41 CDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 09:55 -0500, TechCatherine wrote:

> The biggest hurdle to get through is that he's put me in charge of
> switching all this over and I don't know the first thing about
> changing OS's and making medical billing software compatible. Think
> anyone can help me out? It would be super appreciated. We want the
> switch to be as quick and painless as possible. While we're not a
> paperless office (yet), we have a lot of saved info. Thanks!!!

If you're not fully up to speed with Linux, you could do a lot worse
than hiring a few days consultation from somebody local who is.

If most of your non-billing information is in a common format, e.g. MS
Office and doesn't use fancy tricks, such as VBA macros, it should be
immediately accessible from Open Office/Libre Office - at least that's
my experience. Same goes for web pages, especially if they're written in
HTML and PHP.

Your billing software may be easy if there's a native Linux port, it
works under Wine, or if its sitting on a database using a schema that's
easily ported to one of the native Linux databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL,
Oracle - the first may be easiest).  It looks to me that the billing
system authors may be your first port of call there.

Martin