[Wine] how to cross-compile

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 16:05:47 CDT 2011

On 8/30/11 10:51 AM, Bruni wrote:
> Vitaliy, perhaps you prematurely discourage him from playing around with cross compiling.
Not necessarily.  Some folks are looking for a solution to run their
'favorite' Wine programs on non-X86 platforms that are compiled to run
on an x86 platform.  Wine cannot 'make this happen' and never, ever
will.  You need some sort of (platform CPU) <-> x86 processor emulator.
This is outside of the scope of the Wine project, but for an example
take a look at the Darwine project (if it is still available on
Sourceforge) for an example on how to try.

>   Why not to give him a chance? No matter if he starts asking "vain" questions, in the below topic this helped to detect a few issues in winegcc implementation. Wine can gain some benefit.
> yaocong
> Wine is reported by some users to be compiled for ARM target on a x86 host.
> See this topic:
> http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=10535
Work is ongoing to make Wine compile on ARM, this is true.

> In particular, the posts by KenSharp and André H.
> Putty rinning in qemu: http://dawncrow.de/arm4.png
Qemu is an emulator, if I recall correctly.

> It'd be better to carry on the discussion in that topic and close this one.

Yes.

James