[Wine] Re: Using Wine across distros with symlink

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 2 21:21:27 CST 2011

BobTheBull wrote:
> I went back and reread the entire online manual and there is no explanation of prefixes. There are some examples in in the FAQ, one of which shows the cl steps to store the wine files somewhere other than ~/.wine, but there is no explanation of any thing. I did get that WINEPREFIX is an environment variable and there is a hint there can be more than one but no explanation. Where does one find an exposition of prefixes in Wine and how the work and can be manipulated.

See http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ for some info.

In short, wineprefix is an instance of a PC. Specifically drive mappings, registry, and default c:\ drive.
Note Wine is NOT installed there. All "dll" files you'll find there are "fake dlls".

BobTheBull wrote:
> I copied /home/username/.wine to /data1/username/.wine, renamed ~/.wine to .wineold and linked data1/username/.wine. So far everything works. I added some drives and they show up in /data1/username/.wine/dosdevices. This is exactly what I wanted.
> However, this is at variance with what vitamin pointed out.

Probably some modifications by suse Wine packager. Vanilla Wine won't let you do this.