[Wine] Re: Updating Wine

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 4 09:30:07 CST 2011

bigseb wrote:
> I have just noticed that my version of wine is 1.3.28 which is apparently a bit outdated. Strange cos I installed it via Synaptic.
>
> Anyway how do I get hold of the latest version? Must I uninstall the old one first? Can I update from one to the other? Do I have to reinstall all my programs?

It's generally a good idea to tell us your distro when asking such questions.

If you're using a major distro, you will probably find a link for newer packages here: http://www.winehq.org/download/. If your distro is not on that list, you will have to ask your distro where to get updated Wine packages.

If you installed Wine initially through your package manager you should be able to just update it through your package manager without uninstalling the old version first. No, you do not have to reinstall your Windows apps, and FYI, uninstalling Wine will not uninstall them.