[Wine] Re: Using Wine across distros with symlink

BobTheBull wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 4 21:16:03 CST 2011

So then, why don't we call them what they are, sub directories or folders, rather than prefixes. Prefix: something placed before and which modifies the root. Don't see the descriptive here.

I believe this is what used to be called a bottle, a much more apt metaphor. Wrapper or container would be more descriptive.

All that aside, presumably a prefix can be located anywhere, not just in /home/username? One of the goals is to locate them outside home so that if a clean install is needed, including reformatting home, all your program installs and configurations in wine are not lost and have to be redone from scratch.

And how does wine know which prefix to use? Can particular programs be associated with a given prefix?