[Wine] Epson PrintCD

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Dec 6 05:36:22 CST 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 20:09 -0600, chester wrote:
> The printer works just fine with linux.  This problem is exclusive
> with the PrintCD software.  For whatever reason, when I run the
> program, the print driver cannot be found when I select print within
> the program  As an aside, the printCD program prints correctly to my
> laser.  No distortion and the colors are good too.

Can any other Wine app use the printer via CUPS?

If not, take a look at the CUPS (print server) set-up. It should allow
"Publish shared printers connected to this system" and "Allow printing
from the internet" - this is copied from the Fedora 15/Gnome 3 Basic
Server Settings panel, so if you're running a different distro things
may differ.

Reasoning: there are two ways that Linux uses to talk to a printer. One
is via the lpr utility which is/was the default way to send print jobs
to the CUPS spooler. The other way is via the IPP net protocol. This is
what Wine uses and on many distros is disabled by default.

The other way to see if the IPP protocol is enabled or not is to run the
command "nmap localhost". If port 631 appears in the list of open ports,
IPP is enabled.

Martin