[Wine] status of Jack?

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 14:17:35 CST 2011

Hey Kristof,

> After a quick check, I see that WineASIO development is done in GIT, not in
> SVN.
> There were 5 commits since 0.9.0, and judging from the comments, they seem
> to be useful bugfixes / enhancements, so I went with the GIT version.

not surprising that they use git. As for wineASIO - i currently use
0.7.5 ...used to use 0.9.0 but for my purposes, the older version
seems to be better. (and i only use it for 1 or 2 apps).

> I decided to check the "Wine + WineASIO + Kontakt-Standalone-App" direction
> first.
>
> After installing latest WINE, WineASIO and Kontakt Player, Kontakt can
> detect that I have ASIO (besides the DirectSound interface), but if I select
> it, it says that the device is "Not present".
>
> Do you have idea what do I need to do to actually run it?

I've run kontakt before, but not in a long while. it sounds like you
are close, but maybe forgot a step. did your register wineASIO with
the Wine registry?? if you are using a 64bit system (and OS), did you
1st specify your wine prefix as being win32 before registering
wineASIO?

What version of jack are you using?

> (Jack was running when I started Kontakt, but no Jack clients appeared in
> qjackctl when I started Kontakt.)

it won't appear in jack until the app is properly using ASIO.

> Furthermore, checking the docs and sources of WineASIO, it does not seem to
> do anything about MIDI.

WineASIO doesn't deal with midi - it routes audio streams to jack.
hence why no documentation on midi... Apps using WineASIO will
actually be using ALSA-midi NOT Jack-midi. You must specify what midi
ports you plan on using inside of your app, usually somewhere in the
VSTi's preferences/options.... ie: midi-keyboard for midi-in, or
possibly alsa-midithrough + setting the midi channel - depending on
what you are trying to do. Note: you should be able to use a2jmidid as
well, for alsa-midi to jack-midi bridge. - although, i haven't tried
this, as i don't require it for the apps i run with WineASIO.

> How can I get jack midi into wine?

FST/Festige uses Jack-midi exclusively with wine/VSTs.

> I will check the "FST + Kontakt-VST-Pluigin" direction next.
> It's closer to my real use case, so I hope I will have better luck with this
> approach.

I would also make sure that you have wineASIO properly installed, as
you may like to use it as well. for example, sometimes a VSTi may
crash (or be unstable) using FST, while with wineASIO it works
flawlessly (or vice-versa). there may be other times, when a VSTi
doesn't work with FST and does NOT have a standalone version (only a
.dll) ~ in this case, you might want to checkout SAVIhost or VSTHost,
as they provide a method of hosting a single-vst (SAVIhost) or
multiple (with VSThost). link;

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

VSThost is also available there.

anyways, in a circumstance like my second example, you may want to
wrap the vst's .dll into an .exe (standalone app) - which will require
WineASIO to work.

>thank you for your help.

No problem, running windows proaudio apps in wine +
jack-audio-connection-kit can be a bit confusing at first.

* I still have to say though, running a sampler-type VSTi through
wine, isn't necessarily the best idea. I can almost promise you are
going to have headache after headache. One problem is that when wine
apps are under heavy disk i/o - they tend to cause xruns in jack. ie:
Battery3, KontaKt, sampletank, etc - all tend to cause random nasty
bursts of xruns. *

That is why i suggested a native linux app for sampling. it works much
better, and the CPU usage will be nothing in comparison. Like i said,
i use LinuxSampler - because i can take .sfz and various other kinds
of samplebanks and convert them into .gig using a Windows app in wine,
to do so;

http://www.extranslator.com/

I purchased it (it's not-free) because i needed to migrate samples to
my AKAI-MPC2000xl, but now i use it mostly for converting formats to
linuxsampler ones. this includes many soundbanks that came with
Komplete 7 - including many kontakt banks, and battery3 kits.

there's also a great app for linux for ripping instruments (like
VSTi's) and it works with Jack. It's called Synthclone;

http://code.google.com/p/synthclone/

I've ripped a few vst's with it. very useful utility.

cheerz