[Wine] Game doesn't want to start without virtual desktop

lovyagin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Dec 15 07:32:06 CST 2011

I can't run this (http://www.adamdawes.com/windows/win_hpursuit.html) game in wine unless Emulate a Virtual Desktop is set.

Several weeks I tried to execute this game and find it was not working, saying "Keyboard acquisition failed" and "DirectInput initialization failed" just after turning full screen. But after I tried it to run in virtual desktop, it was executed properly in the windows OK. Then I unset "emulate virtual desktop" back and game was running properly without it until recent time when video became seize.

I tried to re-run game in virtual desktop (video was OK) and return in normal mode and game failed to run again with the same error messages. Nothing like turning desktop emulation on/off and re-executing let me to run in in normal mode again, only in desktop.

What can I do to fix the problem? Please, don't tell me that I MUST run the game in virtual desktop because it is executed in tiny windows but I only enjoy full screen. And, of course, I don't like wine to use virtual desktop since I run some wine applications for work.

(linux: Fedora 16, wine version 1.3.33.)