[Wine] Can't install Civ4

BobTheBull wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 16 22:50:51 CST 2011

I know this is a long shot, but I have to ask.

I had tried to get Civ4 working in Wine without success in the past, but recently was encouraged to try again based on reports in the Civ4 linux forum. One key was that versions before 1.3.X didn't work.

Running openSuse 11.4, which installed Wine 1.3.12, I just followed the usual procedure to install Civ4, Beyond the Sword and my favorite mod, ROM-AND. This is not the easiest install in native Windoze, btw. I was pleasantly surprised that each step just worked without my doing anything out of the ordinary. I just double clicked on the appropriate install files and it all installed without a hitch. To get it to run I had to copy two .dll's to system32, per notes in appDB and Civ4 linux forum.Then it all worked. WHOOHOO! This is a very elaborate and resource intensive game if you are using the ROM-AND mod, even in Windblows, That it not only worked but worked well in Wine (better than in Win in my experience) was amazing.

But, due to other problems, I decided to install Suse 12.1 as a clean install to clean up some things. That worked well, and Suse installed 1.3.33 for me, and then updated it to 1.3.34. Wine works fine, and I have installed some lite weight programs with no problem.

The kicker is, the installer for Civ4 will not run now, as in does not install. After starting it the same way it terminates with a message:

An error has occurred while running the setup.

Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications.
If the error still occurs please contact your vendor: Fireaxis Games.
Then follows an url to the vendor at the time (circa 2005), so this message has to be coming from the installer for Civ4.

It spits out the following info:

Error Code:	-5006 : 0x8000ffff
Error Information:
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\ObjectHolder.cpp (442)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\ObjectHolder.cpp (442)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\FileGroup.cpp (520)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\FileGroup.cpp (520)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\FileGroup.cpp (520)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\FileGroup.cpp (520)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\FileGroup.cpp (520)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\FileGroup.cpp (520)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\FileGroup.cpp (520)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (87)
>Kernel\FileGroup.cpp (520)
>Kernel\ServiceProvider.cpp (109)
>K>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1284)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4

Anyone got a clue why, apparently, this one installer won't even take off, much less finish, when it did before? And yes, I did make sure the install file was not corrupted.