[Wine] Thoughts on a possible solution to get the Sims 2 running.

relik1989 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Dec 17 17:42:33 CST 2011

I am trying as hard as I can to find a solution to get the Sims 2 to work. I have a new copy on the way and everything I hear says the game wont play in wine.

Now I had an idea, the last time I ran the Sims 2 was on a Mac. I know for a fact the the Mac version is just in a Cider wrapper, I know because I've opened it before. Now I'm sure EA didn't dump thousands of dollars to rebuild the entire engine just for the Mac release. So is there anyone out there who thinks it may be possible to extract certain files from the mac version and use them to overwrite the files in the Wine installed version? Cider is nothing more than a nice neat pre-configured version of wine, so something has to be possible. I have access to a Mac to try it out, I just gotta wait for the game to get here.

Also I know the whole issue with running Sims 2 is it is not able to get all 1024 Vertex shades that its requesting. Is there a way to software emulate the remaining shaders? similar to how the Direct X 10 in Windows XP patches software emulated all - well most - of the Direct X 10 effects.

So anyone up for some trouble shooting with me? The Sims 2 was Epic, much better than the Sims 3 (which I actually have running beautifully, ironic.)