[Wine] Hierarchical File System and Wine

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon Dec 19 18:51:18 CST 2011

On Dec 19, 2011, at 2:57 PM, cabal wrote:

> While trying to dodge issues with case-sensitivity, I stumbled on a somewhat effective solution: the old Mac OS Hierarchical File System (HFS). HFS is case insensitive and supports symlinks, making it very useful for Wine. The drawbacks are that it's slow compared to modern file systems, the max file size is 2GB and filenames are limited to 31 bytes.
That is why Apple replaced it with HFS+. HFS+ has all the advantages of the old HFS, but none of the drawbacks (except maybe the slowness). Just so you know, HFS+ happens to be the native file system of Mac OS X. (Indeed, it won't run with anything else!) I do believe Linux also has drivers built-in for HFS+.

Chip