[Wine] Stereoscopic 3D in Wine?

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Dec 21 14:17:08 CST 2011

When you play a "nomal 3D" game, whether it be Halo One or Skyrim, all the data needed to make a truly 3D experience is there, it's just that only one eye's viewpoint is rendered and sent to the screen.

There's this free download called the IZ3D 'driver' which has a free anaglyph mode. (Anaglyph means the two-color method to producing true 3D, in this case red-cyan.) It works great in Windows and makes all games that use DirectX 8 or higher steroscopic (two-eye) 3D.

I was wondering if this could work in Wine. Before you say "no," mind you that Zeckensack's works in Wine. So if Zeckensack's can intercept and alter graphics calls in Wine, and is a "driver" as I understand it, isn't it within grasp to get the IZ3D "driver" to also intercept and alter graphics calls in Wine?

I know that drivers, with a few specifically developed for exceptions, aren't supposed to work in Wine because Wine is not a kernel, though it mimics one. But I take it that the IZ3D 'driver' isn't a very driverish driver. In Windows I didn't see it as a driver installed to my graphics card. I don't think it's actually a driver in the sense that it tells the kernel how to communicate to hardware. So given its foo-driver status, I'm hopeful that it will work in Wine... similar to how Zeckensack's isn't really a driver (but looks like one?) and works in Wine.

So is this a doable thing, or am I asking for too much? Obviously if the game has its own built-in steroscopic 3D, like Minecraft, the steroscopic 3D would work in Wine, but I'm asking if there is a way to make games that don't have steroscopic 3D abilities of their own become steroscopic 3D in Wine.

I have tried to install just the IZ3D driver, version 1.13 (5443), into its own Wine prefix. I'm using Wine 1.3.35 compiled from source (normal 32-bit plain vanilla no-patches Wine) on Linux Mint 11 64-bit. Still haven't upgraded to kernel 3.x, plan to do that sometime this Christmas break. I'll confess that I'm using an ATI graphics card - Redwood [Radeon HD 5670].

It installs fine, then it "stubs out". Terminal output says it needs .NET 2.0, so I winetrick that in. Then I redo installing IZ3D via it's installer (it's an exe installer). Then IZ3D control center gives this pop-up error: "Error connecting to pipe, probably service don't running. Please try restart system or reinstall driver." And the only option to click is "OK". Then, with the control center window, comes another error message:

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Not implemented.

Details                           Continue         Quit"

Clicking "Details" on the above error message doesn't do anything, nor does clicking any of its buttons. The iZ3D control center is messed-up looking, and I'll upload a screenshot when I get back on my "unlimited" Internet access time.

I posted the important part of the terminal output at Pastebin, though not all of it, because my terminal doesn't remember that far back. Just go to line 202 because that's where I start installing the program after having installed dotNET20. Everything before line 202 is either me showing it "stubing out" for not having dotNET20 or me installing dotNET20 or me trying to install iZ3D before having dotNET20 installed.

Pastebin paste: http://pastebin.com/eXAcsthf

Jake