[Wine] Can I play any Win7 game on Linux?

teemumilto wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Dec 22 00:59:58 CST 2011

Hi, I am apprehensive about buying the Windows 7 for my new desktop PC ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig_b41uOQCg ) and pay more than 100 euros for it. I don't have enough money before I get the student loans after New Year 2012, and I was wondering if I could get Linux somewhere today or before Christmas holidays.

Before I decide, tell me, can I play any Win7 game I like on Linux, by using Wine, PlayOnLinux, Crossovergames or Cedega? I am a PC gamer, I want to have maximum performance on SLI GTX 580 graphics cards, the bespoke Corsair Dominator 2000 Mhz and the fastest SDD on the market, OCZ IBIS 160 Gb and Ivy Bridge processor. I don't want any compromises in terms of what games I can play, but I can stretch about the top FPS. I can cope with having to learn command prompt. I just want compatibility.

I have Steam on my EEE PC and I want to run those games on my new, faster desktop PC, including Minecraft, Sanctum, Civ4, Crysis2, Battlefield2, any future maximum requirement game, the astronomy program Celestia, Google Earth with the graphics cards. I want to use Linux exactly for the same things as I'm using my Windows, if not exactly the same way.

I am ready to give up Win, as I've wanted to do since the 1990's. Just as long as you tell me, hard, cold and honest truth, weather Linux can run the same software as Win. I don't want any wishful thinking about tinkering with Linux in the gaming world, open-source games unheardof in Windows or Steam and the possible future. Is it possible now?

Regards, Teemu, Finland.