[Wine] Warcraft 3: TFT or RoC in Wine

Entanglement wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 23 21:10:46 CST 2011

I'm trying to get Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne or Reign of Chaos to work in wine version 1.3.35 on Gentoo x86_64 kernel 3.0.6 (oss USE flag is included).

However, although installation of both games went smoothly, no matter which one I use, I get this error when I attempt to play:

($GAME) was unable to detect a disc in your CD-ROM drive.
Please make sure your ($GAME) disc is in your CD-ROM drive, then
click on 'Retry'.

In this situation (Game) corresponds with either of the two:
1. Reign of Chaos
2. Frozen Throne

I've looked at solutions through Google, and all of them basically tell me to download the newest patch which apparently allows this game to work without the CD. Although I've found this patch, I am unsure of two things:

1. Is it possible to still play the game WITH the CD? The reason I ask this is because I would like to download all of the latest patches since the patch that allows users to play without the CD.

2. Which folder should this patch be moved to?