[Wine] Re: Can I play any Win7 game on Linux?

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Dec 25 12:43:58 CST 2011

teemumilto wrote:
> Before I decide, tell me, can I play any Win7 game I like on Linux, by using Wine, PlayOnLinux, Crossovergames or Cedega?

No, you can't. None of the above support all aspects of DirectX. And whatever is supported is at least 25% slower then native.

teemumilto wrote:
> But I thought Wine was OpenGL and is compatable to directx in general?

Not even close, other then both have something to do with 3D graphics (DX is more then just graphics btw).

Wine _implements_ DirectX over OpenGL (note this James, not translates calls, _implements_). The difference is the same as asking Google to translate some Russian poetry to English. Will you get the meaning? Yes. Will you get the poetry? No.