[Wine] Re: Steam Doesn't work

Bob Wya wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 30 09:23:28 CST 2011

palswim wrote:
> I'm encountering this as well.
>
> I'm running openSUSE 12.1/GNOME 3 with Wine 1.3.35 and Steam closes after spending a while on the "Connecting Steam account '<>'..." box.
>
> Wine outputs this:
>
> Code:
>
> ...err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.

On my Chakra install this error is fixed by installing the Samba (Server) native Linux package (which pulls in the ntlm_auth binary). Same on my Kubuntu install. This native Linux library is needed, by WINE, to allow the Steam client to correctly authenticate your user and password.

Post back if you still have a problem with connecting the Steam client!

Hmmm. Really must add this in on the Steam AppDB page - it's still coming up quite often...  [Rolling Eyes]

Bob