[Wine] LTSpice IV Won't Launch from the Wine Menu

motsteve wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 30 21:55:23 CST 2011

It's been a while since I used LTSpice, but it always worked on Wine no matter which distro I was running.  However, I recently installed it on both Mint 11 and Mint 12 and had the same problems.

The first problem I noticed was when I installed it, it placed the desktop configuration file on my Mint desktop.  I had never seen that happen before.  The second problem was that the application would launch fine if I either opened the desktop configuration file directly or copy and pasted the command it had in its properties window to a terminal window and executed it.  The app would not run from the menu.  All that would happen is an error message, "File not found".

The desktop configure file command was:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/carltons/.wine" wine c:\\Program\ Files\\LTC\\LTspiceIV\\scad3.exe

The Wine menu command is:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/carltons/.wine" wine c:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/carltons/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/carltons/Start\ Menu/LTspice\ IV.lnk

I've listed all the paths in both commands and all the files exist in the correct sub directories.  I also checked the lines to make sure that all the spaces and \'s were escaped properly. I'm really at a loss as to where the missing file is.  The other real puzzlement to me was the /Unix of the menu command, but I'm not familiar with the syntax of this command, I'm not a software engineer by any means.  I did a :

sudo find / -name \/Unix -type d   and got no return.  At that point I just thought that maybe the command was off into the cloud to retrieve it before finally returning its output.  I am well past my capabilities at this point.   [Embarassed]