[Wine] Direction that wine is going

kanaida wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Feb 2 18:15:02 CST 2011

I had a question about where wine is headed.

As a programmer, I like to jump from thing to thing myself, especially new things. However, since wine is supposed to provide a compatability layer, shouldn't it be focusing on the bricks first instead of the sky scraper windows?

I'm not saying that I don't like when new directx support comes, and games tend to work better, because I do. A lot :). What I am saying is that I think wine is at the point where it's "mostly" working well with a lot of different things somewhat consistently, but I still see things like Office 200x that still don't work 100%.

Now office itself isn't the most important thing in the world, but what It stands for is important. It's an application that almost every single pc with windows has. There is little left to do, and I know it's the boring stuff. But like I said, I think those things should be killed and gotten out of the way first to get wine to be more predictable and stable sooner.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not criticizing anyone or anything. I am amazed it's gotten this far, this fast. Wine is very impressive! I guess what I'm asking is, if some kind of roadmap exists anyone so I know what kinds of goals are being set, that kind of stuff. It would be cool to see some kind of subsystem diagram with little percentages in it so we know whats up in a single page.