[Wine] having trouble start Black Ops on Ubuntu 10.10

ayjazz wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 3 10:45:25 CST 2011

Hey all, I am fairly new to Ubuntu and Wine, so please excuse the noob questions.

I've been having trouble getting Black Ops to run on Wine.  I can start it up, get to the main menu (for both multiplayer and singleplayer), and even view the loading screen for a map, but once it is about to start up, I get a message that says that DirectX has had an unrecoverable error, see the README for details. I saw a similar issue regarding this error on the application's page, but it was for MacPorts, and not for Ubuntu.

I can get the game to run fine on my Windows 7 on my computer.  I am using Wine 1.3.12, and the library overrides I have available are gameoverlayrenderer (disabled), d3d9(builtin) and d3d8(builtin).

System specs are GeForce 310M with 512 MB of memory with a 64-bit interface, Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit, 4GB of RAM, and my Processor is an Intel Core i5 m450 @2.40 GHZ.

What should I do?  Is there anything else I should download for Wine to get BO to work?  If so, what, and how do I get it?  Should I make any changes to my registry?  I can get Source games (Half-Life 2 albeit with some lag) and Team Fortress 2 (Runs fine, idk how to get anti-aliasing enabled though, its grayed out) just fine under wine.