[Wine] multiple wine versions

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sat Feb 5 14:31:20 CST 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 02:54, vitamin <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> aldouxhuxley wrote:
>> 1. invoking env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/" and WINE=$HOME/.wine-1.3.6/wine winetricks doesn't seem to do anything that i can tell.
>
> Because it's wrong. WINEPREFIX is NOT where Wine is installed but where Wine will create it's fake "windows" configuration. Obviously you can't have source directory as the wineprefix.
>
> Gert van den Berg, this is your official warning, next time I see you post invalid information, or something completely irrelevant to what OP is asking about, all your messages will be removed from forum.

I assumed he wanted to use separate sets of settings for different
Wine versions. (Why install an full Wine instance in a hidden
directory? - This seemed to be what he managed by setting the
compile-time prefix, but what I guess the intention to be is: Run Wine
1.3.6 without messing up the configuration for Wine 1.2.2 (which Wine
1.3.6 will do when it upgrades the ~/.wine wineprefix if WINEPREFIX is
not set))

I usually find that the most reliable way of running multiple Wine
versions is just to use the full path of the wine executable before
all commands. (e.g. ~/wine-git/wine winecfg; /usr/bin/wine winecfg,
etc - it won't work for winetricks though, which is where WINE comes
in handy)

Gert