[Wine] Re: Error loading mfc42.dll - failed (error c000007b)

cpighin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Feb 7 10:46:15 CST 2011

:)  Thanks dimesio,

I did what suggested and now Birthday Remainder 1.60 works properly again and this could confirm the hypothesis of a package manager issue as the cause of the problem reported above.

For those interested, hereunder is the list of actions taken to run the application.

1) Following this guide (http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8a17a13a8a4cda9e12e24a1ad4e1b1aaf043d581) I un-installed Birthday Remainder and Wine (not Winetricks) by Package Manager,
2) I installed wine1.3-8 by Package Manager (later I found that were installed: wine1.3, wine1.3-gecko, winetricks).
3) I configured Wine by the graphic tool as follow:
   - Applications Tab> Predefined setting> Windows version: Windows 7
   - Drives Tab> "Automatically detect"
4) Than I tried to install Birthday Remainder 1.60 (bday_setu.exe) opening the executable program in various ways without success. When I did it with the console command "wine bday_setup.exe", I verified that the system required a correct installation of the library MFC42.DLL. Note that in the past this error occurred after the installation!
5) I installed the library MFC42.DLL with the command "winetricks" (instead of "sh winetricks" since the package was jet installed) followed by selection of the library in the list that was shown.
6) Than I had success on installing Birthday Reminder 1.60 by double-clicking on the file "wine bday_setup.exe" on the desktop and I proved that the application was running by console command and by one of the two dedicated launchers within Wine.
7) In order to run Birthday Reminder in Ubuntu environment referring to the same file as in Windows, I created a symbolic link to /media/ACER_WIN7/Users/claudio/Dati applicazioni/Zhorn Birthday Reminder/bdays.ini, inside folder "/home/claudio/.wine/drive_c/users/claudio/Applicazioni/Zhorn Birthday Reminder" and I renamed it "bdays.ini.
8 ) Finally I checked that the application was working properly.

Thanks again dimesio, Claudio  :)